POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Earth-like planets : Re: Earth-like planets Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth-like planets
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 11 Nov 2000 18:31:22
Message: <3A0DD6C8.C2A3624D@ij.net>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> Does anyone have any hints/tips on generating
> an earth-like planet in pov. Specifically continents
> and islands with appropriate colours and clouds that
> look reasonably realistic.
>
> I've seen a couple of examples in p.b.i but I'm not sure
> how they were done (image map or procedural)
> and I haven't had much success in creating a reasonable
> looking planet

	I've been using image maps but like Blue Mars, even though from real
data, a heightfield with water is procedural. There are a ton of
heightfield programs.

	For the images of earth, the way I have created clouds is with a
thresholded fractal plasma with a graphics program. That produces
"clustered noise" vice random. I have seen a procedural plasma routine
but I don't remember where.

	Hint: In playing around with the image maps, I found inverting color
and flipping the image made even earth hard to recognize. So if it is
hard to get a good one procedurally you can use the good ones more than
once.

--
A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero dies
but one. Those sound like pretty good odds to me.